1. Scientific Notation
a. Write the following number in exponential notation:
b. Write the following number in exponential notation:
c. Write the following number in decimal notation:
5.403 x 105
d. Write the following number in decimal notation:
3.730 x 10-6
2. Perform the following arithmetic operations. You may use a calculator if you wish.
a. -3.334 x 105 + (-3.434 x 10-3) =
b. (4.54 x 10-3) x (5.87 x 104) =
c. (7.357 x 10-4) / (-1.927 x 103) =
d. (-3.98 x 107) x =
3. Make use of the following relationships to complete the next set of problems
1 inch = 2.54 cm
12 inch = 1 foot
1 quart = 0.946 liters
1 pound = 454 grams
a. How many cm are there in 1.00 foot?
b. How many quarts are needed to make 3.00 liters?
c. What is the weight in pounds of 1.00 grams?
4. Density is the mass per unit volume:
d = m/V
In this form, the equation has been "solved" for density--meaning that d is isolated on the left side and may be calculated by entering m (mass) and V (volume).
a. Rearrange this equation to solve for the mass.
b. Rearrange this equation to solve for the volume.
c. Calculate the density of an object that has a mass of 3.5 grams and occupies a volume of 7.0 cm3.
d. Calculate the mass of an object that occupies 4.0 cm3 and has a density of 4.43 g/cm3.
5. A student earns $ 520.00 a month from a part time job. She states that she spends 40% of her earnings on food. How much money does she spend on food during a month?
6. A recipe which produces 2 dozen cookies calls for 2 cups of sugar. How much sugar is needed to produce 200 cookies?